Meta Ray-Ban Smart Glasses Review | 6 Months Later

It's been 6 months since I purchased a pair of the Meta Ray-Ban smart glasses. Like a lot of people looking at getting these, I had some questions: What is the point of these if you're not an Instagram influencer or you just don't care about posting to social media? And would I use them enough to justify the cost? Well, 6 months later, I now know the answer to both questions.

Design and Style

The first highlight of these glasses is their design. Meta and Ray-Ban have done something pretty remarkable here. They've created a wearable that looks like something people are already wearing. I have walked by and talked with countless people over the past 6 months while wearing these glasses, and like one person realized what they actually were. The only real giveaway is the camera, and the sides are slightly thicker.

You Might Like: The Legendary Pebble Smartwatch is Back: Everything You Need to Know

  • Styles Available: Headliner, Wayfarer (which is what I have), and a couple others.
  • Prescription Options: You can get them with prescription lenses, and you can even get transition lenses, either prescription or non-prescription, though they'll cost you an extra $50 to $80.

How Do They Work?

So how exactly do these work and what makes them smart glasses? Well, they have an integrated camera, open-ear speakers on each side of the glasses, and the Meta AI built into them.

  • Controls: Capture button on the top right for photos and videos, a touchpad on the right side for volume control, skipping tracks, and triggering the assistant.
  • Music Integration: You can even use them to trigger Spotify, Apple Music, or Amazon Music with a single tap. (Note: Apple Music is only available on the iPhone version of The Meta View app.)
  • Water Resistance: The glasses come with an IPX4 water resistance rating, so you don't have to worry if you get caught in light rain.

Speakers and Mic Quality

One of the most crucial aspects of the glasses is the speakers. The sound quality is surprisingly decent. I found over the past 6 months that I've reached for my earbuds a bit less while wearing these, especially when all I'm looking for is just some background music.

You Might Like: Amazon Halo: The Best Fitness Tracker | Features and Review

  • Mic Quality: The glasses also have a five-mic system, which is excellent for phone calls.

Meta AI and Assistant

So the AI thing, what exactly can Meta AI and this assistant do? I'd break it down into two categories:

  • Task-Oriented: Hands-free phone calls, taking photos, sending text messages, playing music, and more.
  • General Conversations: You can ask it general search queries, like "What zones do pawpaw trees grow in?"

Camera System

The glasses pack a 12-megapixel camera, and while that might not sound impressive in the age of 50-megapixel smartphone camera sensors, the quality is surprisingly good.

  • Unique Vantage Point: The camera is perfect for capturing spontaneous moments, like when I was kayaking in The Sound.
  • Limitations: Videos are limited to 3 minutes, and the aspect ratio for both photos and videos is fixed in a portrait orientation.

Charging and Battery Life

The glasses come with a nice leather Ray-Ban case that doubles as a charger. There's a USB-C port on the bottom, and the glasses themselves charge via pin connectors in the nose bridge.

  • Battery Life: Meta claims 4 hours of battery life on a single charge and up to 36 hours with the case.
  • Recharge Time: You'll get about 30 to 40% capacity with just a 15-minute charge in the case.

What Features Haven’t Been Useful?

While I use the Meta assistant for basic tasks like controlling media, phone calls, etc., I haven't found myself using its deeper capabilities like having conversations with it or asking it to identify what you're looking at.

  • Direct Sharing Features: It's there if you want it, but it hasn't been a go-to for me.

Downsides

So what are the downsides I've encountered while using the Meta Ray-Bans?

  • Meta AI Limitations: It couldn't identify songs currently playing off my iPhone, and it won't let you directly reply to a text that it's reading aloud.
  • Battery Life: I think closer to 8 hours would be ideal.
  • Photo Delay: There's a slight 1 to 2 second delay when you press the button and when the photo is actually taken.
  • Comfort: If you wear them for several hours, my ears will get a little bit sore.

Recommendations

So would I recommend getting a pair of the Meta Ray-Ban smart glasses? I was skeptical at first, but these glasses have genuinely surprised me.

You Might Like: Sony WF-1000XM5  |  The Best Truly Wireless Earbuds

  • For Whom? If you're already in the market for a pair of $200 designer sunglasses, for just $100 more, you get an integrated camera, speakers, and an assistant.
  • Transition Lenses: If you prefer noise cancellation when you're inside working and/or taking calls, then go for the sunglasses version.

Final Thoughts

All in all, I've really come to enjoy the Meta Ray-Ban smart glasses. They're one of the best wearables you can get that offer real value and utility today. I only wish they could be more integrated with my phone and have slightly better battery life, but it makes me really hopeful for the future of this category.

Comments